Saturday, May 03, 2008

Derby Day


It's Derby Day! I can hardly believe Winter is gone. The Kentucky Derby has always been a big deal in our house. When my daughters were small, I'd prepare dinner and we would all gather around the TV, eating and screaming for our horse. Now that they've grown up and left the nest, it's cocktails and OTB.

I'm a sucker for a filly and a gray horse. I've got both today in Eight Belles. And before you call me crazy, I had the winning ticket on Winning Colors and also had her in a Derby pool. So there.

UPDATE: I took this post down after the tragic end of the race yesterday. I wanted time to sort out my feelings. I still haven't sorted them out, but this filly deserves to be remembered for her courage and strength. She ran the race of her life.

UPDATE 2: Food for thought

No comments: